This table links towards the wedding regulations for the states and tries to summarize a few of their points that are salient. Those enthusiastic about the marriage legislation of a jurisdiction that is particular review its legislation straight as opposed to count on this summary which might never be completely accurate or complete.
Related LII materials include:
|State||typical Law Marriage||chronilogical age of permission to marry||Medical exams||Marriage permit|
|Age with parental permission||Age without parental permission||Max. duration between exam and license||range of medical exam||Waiting period before license||Duration of permit credibility (expiration)|
|Alabama- Title 30, Chapter 1||Yes||16 a, b||18||–||–||–||thirty days|
|Alaska- Title 25, Chapter 5||No||16 c||18||–||–||3 times, d||three months|
|Arizona- Chapter 1, Article 1||No||16 c (2)||18||–||–||–||1 Arkansas- Title 9, Subtitle 2, § 11||No year||18||–||–||f||–|
|California- Family Code, §§ 300-500||No||b, g||18||1 month, d, h||–||–||ninety days|
|Colorado- §§ 14-2-105 thru 14-2-110||Yes||16 c||18||–||–||–||1 month|
|Connecticut- Title 46b, § 815e||No||16 c (2)||18||–||i||4 days, d||65 days|
|Delaware- Title 13, Chapter 1||No||18||–||–||twenty four hours, j||1 month|
|Florida- Title 43, Chapter 741||No||16 a, ag e||18||–||–||–||60 times|
|Georgia- §§ 19-3-1 thru 19-3-68||No gg||16 ag e, k||18||–||i||3 times, l||thirty day period|
|Hawaii- § 572||No||15 k||18||–||–||—-||thirty days|
|Idaho- § 32-301 thru 32-501||No gg||16 c||18||–||m, n||–||–|
|Illinois- Chapter 750, CS 5, Part II||No||16 o||18||–||p||one day||60 days|
|Indiana- Title 31, Article 11||No gg||17 e||18||–||q||–||60 times|
|Iowa- Chapter 595||Yes||16 k||18||–||–||3 times||–|
|Kansas- Chapter 23, Article 1||Yes||16 c (2)||18||–||–||3 times, d||a few months|
|Kentucky- Chapter 402||No||18 k||18||–||–||–||thirty days|
|Louisiana- Title IV, Chapter 1 (Civil Code 86)||No||18 c||18||10 times||–||–||–|
|Maine- Title 19, Chapter 23||No||16 c||18||–||–||3 times, d, f||3 months|
|Maryland- §§ 2-201 thru 2-503||No||16 e, r||18||–||–||48 hours, d||six months|
|Massachusetts- Title III, Chapter 207||No||Male-14 k Female-12 k||18||3-60 days, s||–||3 times, f||60 times|
|Michigan- Chapter 551||No||16||18||–||–||3 times, d||33 days after application|
|Minnesota- Chapter 517||No||16 k||18||–||–||5 times, d||half a year|
|Mississippi- Title 93, Chapter 1||No||g, k||thirty days||t||3 days, d||–|
|Missouri- Chapter 451||No||15 u||18||–||–||–||thirty days|
|Montana- Title 40, Chapter 1||Yes||16 k||18||–||t||–||180 times|
|Nebraska- Chapter 42||No||17||19||–||i||–||one year|
|Nevada- Title 11, Chapter 122||No||16 c||18||–||–||–||one year|
|brand brand brand New Hampshire- Title 43, Chapter 457||No||Male- 14 v Female- 13 v||18||–||–||3 times, d, f||ninety days|
|New Jersey- Title 37||No||16 c, e||18||–||–||72 hours, d||30 times|
|brand brand New Mexico- Chapter 40, Article 1||No||16 ag e, u||18||30 times||t||–||–|
|brand New York- Domestic Relations (Chapter 14), Articles 1 and 2||No||16 v||18||–||w||24 hours||60 times|
|North Carolina- Chapter 51||No||16 ag e||18||–||–||–||–|
|North Dakota- Chapter 14-03||No||16||18||–||–||–||60 times|
|Ohio- Title 31, Chapter 3101||No gg||Male-18 k Female-16 c, ag ag e||18||–||–||5 times, d, x||60 times|
|Oklahoma- 43-3||No gg||16 c, e||18||1 month, d||t||y||30 days|
|Oregon- Title 11-106||No||17 z||18||–||–||3 times, d||60 days|
|Pennsylvania- Title 23, Part 1||No gg||16 u||18||1 month||t||3 times, d||60 days|
|Rhode Island- Title 15, Chapters 15-1 thru 15-3||Yes||18||–||aa||–||three months|
|sc- Title 20, Chapter 1||Yes||16 e||18||–||–||one day||–|
|Southern Dakota- Title 25, Chapters 1 and 2||No||16 e||18||–||–||–||20 times|
|Tennessee- Title 36, Chapter 3||No||16 u||18||–||–||3 times, d, bb||30 days|
|Texas- Title 1, Subtitles the and B||Yes||16 k, v||18||–||–||cc||thirty days|
|Utah- Title 30, Chapter 1||Yes||16 a||18 dd||–||–||–||thirty days|
|Vermont- Title 15, Chapter 1||No||16 latin brides k||18||1 month, d||t||one day, d||–|
|Virginia- Title 20, Chapter 2||No||16 a, e||18||–||ee||–||60 times|
|Washington- Title 26, Chapter 4||No||17 u||18||–||ff||3 times||60 times|
|western Virginia- Chapter 48, Article 1||No||18 ag e||18||–||t||3 times, d||–|
|Wisconsin- Chapter 765 thru 767||No||16||18||–||letter||5 times, d||30 days|
|Wyoming- Title 20, Chapter 1||No||16 u||18||–||i||–||–|
|District of Columbia- Division VIII, Title 46, Subtitle 1, Chapter 4||Yes||16 a||18||1 month||t||3 times, d||–|
|Puerto Rico||No||Male-18 c, e, u Female-16 c, ag ag e, u||Male- 21 Female- 21 ag ag ag e||–||t||–||–|
suggests that the writers of the table were not able to find any details about this issue
- (a) Parental permission not needed if small once was hitched.
- (b) Other requirements that are statutory.
- (c) more youthful parties may marry with parental permission.
- (c) (2) Younger parties may marry with parental and judicial consent.
- (d) Waiting period could be avoided
- ( ag ag e) Younger parties may obtain permit in the event of maternity or birth of kid.
- (f) Parties must register notice of intention to marry with regional clerk.
- (g) No age restrictions
- (h) whenever unmarried guy and unmarried girl, maybe not minors, have now been residing together as guy and wife, they could, without wellness certification, be hitched upon issuance of appropriate authorization.
- (i) Venereal illness and rubella (for feminine)
- (j) Residents, before termination of 24 hour waiting duration; non-residents, before termination of 96 hour waiting period.
- (k) Parental consent and/or permission of judge needed.
- (l) Unless events are 18 many years of age or maybe more, or feminine is expecting, or candidates are the moms and dads of the child that is living away from wedlock.
- (m) Rubella for female; there are particular exceptions, and region judge may waive examination that is medical proof that crisis exists.
- (letter) Applicants must get information about AIDS and certify having see clearly.
- (o) Judicial permission might be offered whenever moms and dads will not consent.
- (p) Venereal conditions; test for sickle cellular anemia provided at demand of examining doctor.
- (q) Any female that is unsterilized 50 must submit with application for permit a medical report saying whether she had immunological reaction to rubella, or perhaps a written record that the rubella vaccine had been administered on or after her very very very first birthday celebration. Judge may by purchase dispense with your needs.
- (r) If events have reached minimum 16 years old, evidence of age and permission of events in individual are expected. If your parent is sick an affidavit because of the incapacitated moms and dad and a doctor’s affidavit required.
- (s) Doctor’s certificate must certanly be filed 1 month prior to see of intention.
- (t) Venereal conditions. In WV and OK, Circuit court judge might waive requirement
- (u) Younger parties may get permit in unique circumstances.
- (v) Below chronilogical age of permission parties require parental permission and authorization of judge, no younger than 14 for men and 13 for females.
- (w) Tests for sickle cellular could be needed.
- (x) candidates under age 18 must declare that they usually have had marriage guidance.
- (y) If one or both events are underneath the age for wedding without parental permission, three time waiting duration.
- (z) If a celebration has no parent living within state, and something celebration has residence in state for half a year, no authorization needed.
- (aa) Physical assessment and bloodstream test required; offer of HIV counseling needed.
- (bb) Unless events are over 18 years.
- (cc) 72 hour period that is waiting issuance of permit.
- (dd) Authorizes counties to give you for premarital guidance as a prerequisite to issuance of permit to individuals under 18 and individuals previously divorced.
- (ee) needed offer of HIV test, and/or should be supplied with informative data on AIDS and tests available.
- (ff) No exam needed, but events must register affidavit of non-affiliction with contagious disease that is venereal.
- (gg) No common-law wedding could be entered into, however these states recognize typical legislation marriages which were entered into before these dates:
- Georgia- entered into ahead of January 1, 1997 are recognized,
- Idaho- joined into just before January 1, 1997 are recognized,
- Indiana- joined into just before 1, 1958 are recognized january,
- Ohio- entered into just before October 10, 1991 are recognized,
- Oklahoma – entered into ahead of November 1, 1998 are recognized, present situation unclear,
- Pennsylvania- entered into ahead of September 17, 2003 (see PNC Bank Corp. v. W.C.A. B., 831 A.2d 1269 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2003) or perhaps January 1, 2005 (see 2004 home Bill No. 2719) are recognized.
- (hh) minimal age for common-law wedding determined to be 12; legislature instituted minimum chronilogical age of 18 for marriages begun on or after September 1, 2006
Supply: located in component for a chart within the global World Almanac and Book of Facts, World Almanac Books, 1999. Entries have now been updated through analysis the statutes and links included to allow direct assessment associated with state statutes.